Diabetic people constantly need to keep a check on their blood glucose level. A glucose monitor is an essential device for diabetic people, it can be used at home to measure blood glucose level on a regular basis.
Following a proper routine and some basic steps will help you more efficiently record your sugar level over the period of time. Here are a few tips that you should follow while using a glucose monitor at home:
- Test the glucose monitor to make sure that it gives a correct reading.
- Wash your hands properly, preferably with warm water. Let your hands dry completely before testing.
- Prepare a lancet device. The lancet device must also be clean.
- Take a test strip for your test strip box. The strip box should be closed properly after taking out a test strip to avoid any possible contamination.
- The new designs of glucose monitors require the user to insert the test strip into the meter. Therefore, the blood is collected while the strip is still inside.
- Swab the area (fingertip/arm) you are going to draw blood from.
- Prick your fingertip/arm with the lancet (always carefully read the manual before using a lancet). Make sure that there is enough blood for obtaining a reading.
- Put the blood drop on the test strip attached to the glucose monitor.
- As soon as the test strip gets the blood drop, a countdown would be started on the glucose monitor. You will get the results within 5-30 seconds depending upon the efficiency of your monitor.